Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Busy, Busy

On Monday, things were buzzing in the classroom, especially as a result of this little guy:


Miss C's son has taken his classroom work to a "whole nother level." He chooses his work, diligently finishes it, puts it away, chooses his next work, diligently finishes it, puts it away, lather, rinse, repeat. On this day, he chose the hanging bead stair (above)...

...this sensorial puzzle (check out that rabbit!)...


...the open and close boxes...


...pouring rice...


...another sensorial puzzle...


...grinding spices with a mortar and pestle...


...and numerous other activities that I missed because I just wasn't quick enough with my camera!

(By the way, the spice grinding activity, which I saw at The Wonder Years, has been the most popular PL activity in the classroom for about five weeks running now. I started out using a whole black peppercorn/coriander blend that I happened to have in my spice cabinet, and now we've moved on to allspice berries, which I also happened to have. After taking another quick look in there, I've also found celery seeds and dried whole thyme, which I'll put out over the next couple of days.)

Miss D's son busied himself with the stamp game...


...and more word drawers (he's definitely in a sensitive period for reading and writing right now):


My daughter worked on the map of Asia...


...she spontaneously grabbed the dustpan and broom to clean up some crumbs...


...and then she and Miss D's son played dominoes, which is their current favorite activity.


Initially the dominoes were on the shelf for domino math, but they played one time a couple weeks ago, and now they play daily. I know dominoes isn't a traditional Montessori activity, but I don't mind it because my set goes up to double 12. I love that they can look at a domino and say, "That's the 11/6," or "I have a double 9." (In the meantime, I'm looking over their shoulders, trying to count the dots :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I would love to have a preschool with other moms as you do! I am completing my Montessori training for ages 3-6 now and love it. I also have a classroom set up in my basement. I am always looking for ideas...I am trying to make a plan for next year. Do you follow a curriculum (like what you do for the year/month/week?)
We too are a Christian family. Feel free to check out my blogs!
Where are you from?
I am in Manitoba, Canada

Unknown said...

Hi Jennie :)

Wow. I always love seeing what you have in your classroom - your materials always seem so lovely. I love that hanging bead stair & hadn't seen it in action before.

Just wanted to let you know that I've bought the NCM curriculum & think it's going to be great!

SurvivingByGrace said...

Thanks for all the pics - they are incredibly inspiring. What do you do with the ground spices?

Becky said...

I just read a great unschooling math article about how dice can stimulate learning! I'm planning to buy some for my kids, too!